Art and Design Career Talk
This year I returned to the RDS to deliver my Art and Design Career Talk. The Irish Times Higher Options is an event held in September for second level students (15-18 year olds). This event aims to help young people feel supported and choose a course that aligns with their career visions.
Students get to meet colleges, Universities and Professionals from across Ireland and the UK. I have been delivering art and design career talks for many years and have helped thousands of young people. I love being asked to speak because it gives me a chance to connect with the emerging talent.
This year I met some fantastic new inventors, designers, creators and artists who want to pursue an art and design career. I was worried people would choose lunch over attending my career talk as it was scheduled for 1.15pm but thankfully hundreds of young people chose my talk and I had a full house every day.
Energy, enthusiasm, empathy
I love sharing my career stories with students because I know how confused I was at 15 making those decisions. I am very happy that I chose an art and design career because it aligns work with my passions. Each year I am allotted one hour to deliver my talk and I reserve most of that time to Q & A sessions. This year I welcomed hundreds of students to come ask me anything to which I got a great response. Over the next few weeks this blog will explore some of these questions – so keep an eye out for that.
I like to bring energy to the room when talking to young people instead of lecturing them. I do this because choosing a career is a MASSIVE decision that could affect their life. Being honest and listening to students is vital to me guiding them in selecting a career that is right for them.
How to Choose a Creative Career Video Series
I am in the process of making a video series packed with great advice on what you need to do to start a career in Art and Design. These videos will be on this blog an YouTube over the coming weeks and I hope that they will help lots of young creatives to make difficult career decisions.
This blog will be populated with posts in relation to questions about careers in art and design. If you would like me to cover a particular topic please contact me and I will let you know if I can help.
Need more help from a Pro?
Many schools have had me in to speak to their students because I help them choose a career that aligns with their passions. I typically work with groups of 20 – 50 students delivering activity based sessions that are 2 hours in duration. I work with the school in the delivery of this session and here are some reasons to book my Career Workshop:
- Access to an industry professional and successful entrepreneur.
- Unique mini course with practical and highly informative lessons.
- Get clarity on how to attain a dream career in Art & Design.
- Understand what 3rd level has to offer vs working and how to prepare.
- Compliments everything taught by career guidance staff and teachers.
- Provokes an empowering mindset to help push through stressful times.
- A chance for young people to explore the future in a fun and interactive way.
- Clearly define visions so that teachers and career guidance staff can support students.
- Become more focused and driven on the path to success.
- Highlight potential weaknesses and clearly define goals to improve, grow and succeed.
For more information on these Career Workshops please contact me by phone or email.