In 2003, I was 17, studying design in Dublin Institute of Technology, and although I knew nothing about business I made a mindful goal to start my own business at the age of 30. I always craved the freedom of setting my own goals and reaching them. I founded DesignBurst in 2011, based on my professional design insights, which was 5 years ahead of my target. My passion for design and creativity has been the foundation of everything I have achieved to date.
I have a BSC Hons in Product Design and have been practising design professionally for over 10 years. To date I have designed over 60 products on the behalf of businesses. It is really exciting being a designer because I get to deal with businesses all over the world.
I enjoy sharing my design insights, business tips and advice on being a creative entrepreneur. I have developed a lot of certified courses for universities and was appointed the role of design mentor for businesses across Ireland through the DCCOI.
What being an Entrepreneur means to me
I love running my own business because I get to explore new opportunities. I also get to choose my business hours, my workload and my projects. That said, there are tough times that require me to adapt to a completely different mindset. Adapting to changes is something every creative entrepreneur must do so that they can be more efficient in the workplace. This allows me to stay focussed on my big vision and reach my goals.
My passion for design has always helped me overcome any obstacles. I wouldn’t change one bit of my journey so far because it has helped shape me into the successful professional that I am today.
Check out some of the things I have accomplished to date:
- Designed over 50 products to date
- “Design & Art Careers” speaker RDS Higher Options
- Design Mentor for the Crafts Council of Ireland
- Awarded 1st Class Honours for my degree in Product Design
- Certified in Web design HTML & CSS
- Product Design Student Achievement Award
- Student of the Year DIT Product Design
- Engineer of the Year Boyne C.S.
Teaching & Training
- Taught over 250 people how to draw using my unique design sketching techniques.
- Developed multiple professional design skills classes and modules for adult education and for universities.
- Provided professional design insights to third level students and businesses
Business Coaching & Mentoring
- Completed Phase 2 New Frontiers Programme
- I have worked with a variety of businesses helping them to define their brand, build their market and develop their ideas.
- Exhibited work at multiple design shows
- Travelled to China to organise production
- Mentored dozens of entrepreneurs on design
- Created multiple blog websites for businesses
- Grading Standards and Rubrics
Design Modules and Practices 2013 – 2016
- Moodle Training for University Lecture Modules
Maynooth University 2013
- New frontiers Phase 1 & 2 – Enterprise Ireland
The LINC Blanchardstown 2012
- Train the Trainer – Certified Adult Educator
Midas Group Kells 2012
- Discovery Zone – Business Development
Meath CEB Kells 2012
- Start Your Own Business Course
Meath CEB Navan 2011
- BSc Hons Degree in Product Design
1st Class Honours – Hetac Level 8
Dublin Institute of Technology
- Hons Leaving Certificate
Excelled in Engineering and Technical Graphics